Welcome to the Boston Flute Academy,
a world-class flute community for all ages and abilities!
BFA SPRING AUDITIONS for the 2013-2014 Season — to be held in April and May 2013. BFA offers classes for everyone, from young children to adult hobbyists and professional players. The finest flute teachers and world class guest artists are accessible to all our students. A philosophy of generosity and mutual support is important in all programs at BFA. To schedule an audition or consultation with the BFA Director Judy Grant, please contact us via email: email@example.com.
- BFA Accelerated Studies Program: Students in 4th grade through college progress through the Preparatory, Repertory, Conservatory, and Young Artist Programs. BFA Young Artists are recruited by the world’s finest conservatories, such as Juilliard, Curtis, Eastman, Cleveland Institute of Music, San Francisco Conservatory, Peabody, Royal Academy of Music and Royal College of Music in London. Auditions required. Space is limited.
- BFA General Studies Program: Flutists of any age and level are invited to enroll in private lessons and progress at their own pace. Beginners are welcomed and provided with a nurturing environment. No formal audition. Interview and studio placement audition only. Trial lessons available. Lesson locations for 2013-2014: Brookline, Boston, Belmont, Chelmsford, Newton.
- BFA Ensemble and Seminar Program: Open to all flutists, regardless of where they study privately. Ensemble experience combined with masterclasses and inspiring workshops on a wide range of topics. Ground breaking initiative designed to supplement the private lesson and build more informed and more complete musicians at every age. Guest artists, practice recitals, and formal performance opportunities included. Fall and Spring terms, with 12 classes per term on weekends in Brookline. Audition and interview for class placement: Combined Preparatory & Repertory Ensemble & Seminar, Advanced Repertory Ensemble & Seminar, Conservatory Ensemble & Seminar, Adult Ensemble & Seminar. All levels welcomed.
- Maliotis Chamber Players: New! Performing flute ensemble for adults. Advanced level. Recent college graduates and music major backgrounds welcomed. Includes workshops with BFA Ensemble & Seminar program. By audition only.
- Comprehensive Course offerings: In addition to traditional flute and piccolo lessons, BFA brings a visionary approach to ensemble training, studio classes, seminars & master classes, music theory, listening classes, orchestral studies, adult continuing studies, and even teacher-training.
- THANK YOU to SIR JAMES GALWAY. BFA students were excited to meet Sir James and Lady Jeanne Galway on March 24th, 2013. BFA thanks the Galways for their words of wisdom and for being so gracious. What a marvelous concert at Symphony Hall!
- THANK YOU to Guest Artist Paul Edmund-Davies for a very special event at BFA! He performed a gorgeous FLUTE RECITAL and taught an enlightening MASTERCLASS on Tuesday, March 19th, 2013, at BFA’s home in Brookline, MA. Mr. Edmund-Davies was Principal Flute in the London Symphony Orchestra for 20 years. Click here for more details. Powell Flutes Exhibit at 6:00pm. PRE-CONCERT RECEPTION at 6:40pm. RECITAL 7:00pm. MASTERCLASS 8:00pm. Prize Drawing 9:00pm. Open to the public. Packed house! Very fun for everyone.
- THANK YOU to BSO Principal Flute Elizabeth Rowe for a fantastic Master Class at BFA on Saturday, December 8th, 2012. Open to the public. What a great turnout we had for this event! For repertoire performed: Click here For Ms. Rowe’s bio and list of performers: Click here
- BFA Young Artist Elizabeth Sperry is the 3rd prize winner of the 2012 National Flute Association High School Soloist competition! Elizabeth has also been selected to the prestigious 2013 National Youth Orchestra of the United States of America. Congratulations Elizabeth!
- Congratulations to BFA’s 2012 graduates on their outstanding college acceptances! Brendan Dooley is now studying at Curtis with Jeffrey Khaner. Nicholas Fitton is studying at Peabody with Marina Piccinini. Emma Huelskamp is studying with Susan Milan at Royal College of Music. Michelle Peters is studying at Yale. Jinji Zhang is studying with Timothy Day at San Francisco Conservatory.
- AUDITIONS for rolling admission: We are currently accepting applications for Spring 2013 study at BFA, space permitting. Click here to contact us about scheduling a consultation or placement audition for any of our Ensemble & Seminar classes (youth and adult) and private lessons.
See our News section for more updates from the BFA.